Of course we all need a dictionary. ALL of us. You cannot know the whole ocean of words existing and coming in use (and their peculiar spelling sometimes). You simply can’t.
And while there is a certain romantic feeling about reading a paper book, I doubt that scanning, skimming, searching and looking through the entries in a hard copy dictionary will be ever as time-efficient as the online one.
So, here are
My top 7 of the online dictionaries:
- Collins Online Dictionary: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/
- Oxford Dictionaries Online: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/
- Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/
- Macmillan English Dictionaries: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/
- Thesaurus: http://thesaurus.com/Roget-Alpha-Index.html
- Roget’s Thesaurus: http://machaut.uchicago.edu/rogets
- Books for the little ones: http://my-storybook.weebly.com/